The Teardrop Fitzroy Storm Glass is a beautiful traditional barometer, handblown from glass to form the teardrop shape!
A brilliant STEM resource, it teaches prediction, weather, forecasting and provokes open historical discussion around how this beautiful scientific apparatus came to being. Originally used by sailors in the 1700s to try and predict the weather, it is still a little bit of a mystery how it works, but they say it works by the change in the solubility of the chemicals due to pressure and temperature, which effects the consistency and appearance of the crystals in the Teardrop.
What does your storm glass say about the weather?
- Clear: it’s going to be a beautiful, clear day
- Cloudy (with tiny little star shaped crystals at the top): cloudy with a chance of thunderstorms and rain
- Small Stars: foggy and/or humid weather
- Large, flaky crystals: Cloudy, in winter can mean snow!
- Crystal threads at the top: Windy Weather
- Crystals at the bottom: high chance of frost.
A great gift for adults or teenagers who have everything, or have an interest in meteorology or maritime history!
Teardrop Fitzroy Storm Glass Features:
- Glass teardrop in a stand
- Approx. 35cm high
- Recommended for ages 12+
A great piece of decor for your home, or perfect gift for those interested in the weather.
STILL HAVE SOME QUESTIONS FOR US?
Starfish Shopping Sessions is a new and exciting system that enables our customers to book online virtual shopping sessions! Whether you need some advice on a product or just a quick double check of anything on our site, our friendly staff will be here to help with anything you need – just book in!
To book an appointment CLICK HERE